Part of the sexual assault charges against former movie mogul Harvey Weinstein was dropped on Thursday, after investigators reportedly found some inconsistencies in the statements from one accuser.
A Manhattan judge dropped one of the six charges against him, The New York Times reports. The other five charges, to which Weinstein pleaded not guilty, still stand. Weinstein's attorney previously argued that the grand jury that indicted him didn't see some key emails from aspiring actress Lucia Evans, who says Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004.
Weinstein is out on bail after his arrest and indictment in May. He was charged with a first-degree criminal sex act related to Evans' allegations, as well as other alleged assaults against three other women. He has maintained that he did nothing wrong, and reportedly plans to mount a defense that describes "long-term, consensual, intimate relationships" with those who allege sexual assault.
Though Weinstein's attorneys will likely use the dismissed charge to cast doubt on the rest of the allegations, police spokesman Phillip Walzak said last week that law enforcement "is fully confident in the overall case it has pursued against Mr. Weinstein. The evidence shows that the criminal case against him is strong." Read more at The New York Times. Summer Meza