off the case
July 11, 2019

Harvey Weinstein is bringing in a new team of lawyers following the departure of one of his defense attorneys — again.

The disgraced producer who will face sexual assault charges in a September trial got his third legal team approved on Thursday as lawyer Jose Baez left the case over "fundamental disagreements" with his client, NBC News reports. Weinstein in January brought in a "dream team" of attorneys after the departure of his previous lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, as The New York Times reported. But one of these attorneys, Ronald Sullivan, withdrew from the case in May, with another, Baez, officially having his exit approved on Thursday.

Lawyers Pamela Mackey and Duncan Levin had also previously withdrawn from the case, CNN reports. The latest additions to Weinstein's defense team are lawyers Donna Rotunno and Damon Cheronis. Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

A source familiar with the case told The Daily Beast that Weinstein has been "trying to put together the perfect cast and it's not working," largely because he's "impossible to work with." Baez following his exit from the case on Thursday said per The Associated Press, "I feel like I won the lottery. Just kidding." Brendan Morrow

See More Speed Reads